Click on the topic to view the information.
- 50K Official Start: 7:00 AM
- 50K 9 - 10 hr finishers Only: 6:00 AM
- 12M: 10:00 AM
- See the full Event Schedule
Racers expecting to finish in the 9 to 10 hour range who are worried about making cut offs and who would like to make it back to enjoy the post-race festivities may start at 6:00 am. You must pick up your packet at one of the packet pick-ups in town and you must arrive with 3, 50K racers to park at the Start/Finish. Shuttle buses will not be running this early.
Lion / Burro Junction - 2:50 p.m.
All racers must be through the Lion/Burro Junction at mile 25.9 no later than 2:50 p.m. in order to turn down Burro and climb Windy Peak. If you are not here by 2:50 p.m. you will be directed straight down Lion for 1 more mile to the finish line. If you are concerned about making the 2:50 p.m. CUT-OFF please see early start time option in the paragraph above.
Aid 5 - 4:15 p.m.
All racers must be through Aid 5 by 4:15 p.m. in order to be allow to finish the race course. If not, you will be directed down the service road and a half mile to the finish line. Please check in with the timer at the finish line.
Finish Line - Closes at 5:00 p.m.
Print out this race day plan diagram and fill it out to help you stay on top of your fueling and hydrating needs to have a successful race.
Complements of Adam St. Pierre of Carmichael Training Systems.
Wednesday May 31 - Thur June 1, 2017 - 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Runners High
- 103 N Rubey Dr, Golden
Friday June 2, 2017 - 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Runners High
- 103 N Rubey Dr, Golden
Saturday June 3, 2017 - 5:00 a.m. - 9:40 a.m.
- If you cannot pick up your packet early, you will be able to pick it up on race morning.
If you are not able to pick up your packet you may have a friend pick it up for you.
50km racers may have TWO drop bags. One will be delivered to Aid Station #3 (mile 17.3). The other will be waiting for you when you arrive at the finish line. Pack a plate and fork for the post-Crain jacket, flip flops, change of clothes, money for massage. . . whatever will allow you to be comfortable at the post-race party. Stay, enjoy the band and the camaraderie of this wonderful community.
- Drop off drop bags at the Red Barn at the water well pump on the tarp no later than 6:45 a.m.
- Please clearly mark drop bags with your name and bib number.
- Pack your drop bag frugally. Please leave the kitchen sink at home.
- Drop bags will be returned to the Red Barn around 1:30 PM. Please pick up your drop bags after the race.
- We will not mail drop bags that have been left behind. They will be taken to Runners High in Golden by Monday June 5th and will be there for 2 Weeks and then taken to GoodWill.
Coat check- -
It will be chilly at the start. Our coat collection will allow you to wear your coat at the start line. One a piece of tape, write your name and bib # on your coat. Wear it at the Start line. Drop it in the collection boxes right before the race starts. We will have the coats organized in numerical order when you finish.
From Boulder (about 1 hour): Head south on Hwy 93 (Broadway). Proceed approximately 14 miles past the Marshall Rd intersection (Eldorado Canyon) and turn right (west) onto Golden Gate Canyon Rd (Hwy 46/County Rd 70). Go west on Hwy 46 for 13 miles to Golden Gate Canyon State Park. Continue 4 miles west of the Visitor Center and turn left on Norton Drive. Parking lot is on your right. Overflow parking is on the left (directions)
From Denver (about 1 hour): I-70 West to Hwy 58 (Golden, Black Hawk, Central City exit & the first exit past Ward Rd) West on Hwy 58 to the Hwy 6 and Hwy 93 intersection (traffic light before you go into the canyon). Turn right (north) on Hwy 93 towards Boulder and go approx 1.3 miles to Golden Gate Canyon Rd. Turn left (west) at this traffic light and follow dierections above. (directions)
From Littleton, Highlands Ranch, Centennial (about 1 hour): C-470 North (West). Take it to the I-70 interchange and take the 6th Ave West exit to Golden. Take 6th Ave to the 6th, Hwy 58 and Hwy 93 Intersection. Go straight through the light and head North on Hwy 93. Go 1.3 miles to Golden Gate Canyon Rd and follow directions above. (directions)
From Nederland (about 40 minutes): South on Hwy 119 to mile marker 12ish. Turn left on Hwy 46 (sign to Golden Gate Canyon State Park). Go approx a mile to your 2nd right on Norton Drive. Parking lot is on your right. Overflow parking is on your left. (directions on Google Maps)
From Idaho Springs (about 50 minutes): I-70 east to the Central City Parkway. Take the Central City Parkway to Central City. Take jog to right when you get to town and take Spring St. to Gregory. Right on Gregory to Black Hawk. Left on Hwy 119. Go approx 5 miles to Hwy 46 and turn right. Follow directions above. (directions)
The Start/Finish is at the Red Barn/ Nott Creek TH Rd., which is 3.5 miles NE of the Golden Gate Canyon State Park Visitor Center on Cawford Gulch Rd. The Visitor Center is 13 miles West of Hwy 93 in Golden on Hwy 46. It is 8 Miles West of the first Crawford Gulch Rd at the Grange / Community Center. On race day do not take this lower Crawford Gulch Rd to the start. You will be scolded and directed to the shuttle parking lot which is a 15 min. drive from the Start/Finish.
We have partnered with RickyRides to help you arrange a carpool. Here's how it works:
- RickyRides is a bit like a forum. A runner creates a "ride post" which is displayed on the map. The map will show a van if they are offering a ride from their location, or a man if they need a ride.
The first 75 cars with a minimum of THREE(3), 50K racers will be directed by parking marshals, at the Visitor Center, to park at the start/finish/Nott Creek TH. It might be helpful to look at a map to understand this. The Visitor Center is the junction where cars are either directed to park at the start or at the shuttle parking lot. 50K racers must arrive no earlier than 4:45a.m. and no later than 5:20a.m. at the Visitor Center where a marshal will be directing traffic. Allow 25 min to get to the visitor center from the junction of Hwy 93 and Golden Gate Canyon Rd, Hwy 46.
The remainder of the 50K cars will be parked at the Gilpin County Fairgrounds parking lot which is just 4 miles west of the visitor center. Turn left on Norton Drive, the parking lot is on your right. The 4 buses will leave the parking lot one right after the other starting at 5:45am. Everyone, please plan to be ready to load on the first shuttle bus. It is imperative that each bus is completely filled with runners in order for every runner to get to the start in time. This will give runners 45 - 30 min. to pick up packets, eliminate your coffee, get your aid 3 and finish line drop bags dropped off. Please plan to pick up your packets at packet pick up at Runners High in Golden to help make race morning run more smoothly.
ALL 12 MILE RACERS will park in the Gilpin County Fairground Parking Lot and will be shuttled to the start. This is a very easy, smooth process.
ALL SPECTATORS will park at Gilpin County Fairgrounds as well and take a shuttle bus to the start. Please see the shuttle schedule for times.
No dogs or strollers on the shuttle buses.
It is very important that spectators wait to make sure all racers are on the bus first. If there is room after all runners have boarded the bus, spectators may ride. If there is no room, the buses will be back to pick up the spectators.
Friends and family are encouraged to support their runners on the course. They are welcome to drive to Aid 2, but will NOT be allowed to park at Nott Creek Start/Finish area. They must take the shuttle bus in. Spectators wanting to come to the start / finish area will be directed to the shuttle parking lot at the Gilpin County Fairgrounds and will take the bus to the start/ finish. The bus will make 1 stop at Aid 3, this may or may not coordinate with the time your runner arrives. Non-racer cars must have a state parks pass or pay for a day parks pass. All cars must be parked in designated parking spots or you will not only be ticketed, but you will jeopardize the future of this event. Please be aware of park rules.
- Aid Station #2 has easy vehicle access with just a few parking spots and features picnic tables and bathrooms (see course map).
- Aid Station #3 is at Horseshoe Trailhead on Crawford Gulch Rd. There is no room for spectators to park at this aid station. The shuttle bus will make 1 stop at this aid station for spectators. Restrooms are available.
- Crews, Friends and Family are required to obtain a state park pass.
- No Dog or strollers on the buses please. Dogs are not allowed at the Red Barn or Start / Finish.
- Family and friends may purchase a lunch (Burger, brats, veggie burger, pasta salad, chips) for $10.00 Please bring your own plate, and fork to help us reduce the trash.
- Mingle with the Elite! Get to know the top trail running athletes as they will be mingling throughout the Post Race Party!
- Expo! Enjoy mingling, learning about the great new, innovative products and services and shopping from our sponsors at the post-race expo!
- Dirty 30 Bandana!Visit all our sponsors at the EXPO and get a bandana with the Dirty 30 course map printed on it. This special gift is for all participants who take the time to visit each sponsor booth at the EXPO.
- Food! A hearty post-race meal for racers and volunteers will be served. Burgers, Brats, and Veggie Burgers will be grilled up with a pasta salad, Lundberg Rice Chips, watermelon. Put your plate and fork in your FINISH LINE DROP BAG so you have it when it is time to eat after your race. In an effort to reduce trash, we ask that you bring your own reusable plate and silverware. Your family and friends will be able to purchase a meal for $10.
- Massage! Recover faster,reduce/prevent injury,relax/elongate your muscles, improve circulation, flush metabolic cellular waste byproducts, calm your nervous system, relieve pain,feel Better! Professional, trained, experienced massage therapists will be on-site ready to help you recover better and faster. Be sure to bring cash ($1 per minute). Massages will take place in the volleyball sand area by Red Barn.
- Live Music! Enjoy great classic rock tunes from The Landlords from 12:30 to 3:30 at the Red Barn! Save some energy to dance with Megan! The only thing she loves more than running through the woods is DANCING!
- Raffle! Swag Give Aways!
Great swag from our AWESOME SPONSORS will be given away every 30 minutes when the band takes a break. Must be present to win!
- Awards Ceremony! Prizes and awards will be presented at 3:30 pm. You must be present at the ceremony to win (unless you are still out running); awards will not be mailed. Awards ceremony will be fun! This years competitive field will add extra energy to the event and awards ceremony. Cash Prizes and beautiful hand made oak plaques made by top Dirty 30 finisher Dan Gorman for 1st Men's and Womens's overall in the 50K and 12 M. Bloodiest Finisher, and the best course marshals award. All SISU's (those completing the D30 under 10 hours as your first ultra running race) will be acknowledged and some will share their stories. Please help support your fellow runners and our sponsors by attending the awards ceremony! The post-race party is planned and intended to keep you mingling, relaxing and enjoying this amazing place with good friends until the awards ceremony. Pack a change of clothes and jacket in your finish line drop bag and plan on spending the entire day with us!
All runners are asked to abide by these simple rules so we can continue to organize this great event in the years to come! Breaking any of these rules may result in disqualification, subject to the race director's discretion:
- FOLLOW THE PARKING AND SHUTTLE RULES. The park officials are watching closely this year for everyone to be cooperative and follow the rules. No parking on Crawford Gulch Rd as racers have done in past years. All will go smoothly if you follow the rules and plan accordingly. Please tell your family and friends to plan on taking the shuttle bus to the start.
- DO NOT LITTER. This applies anywhere on the course, including at aid stations. Please respect the park and other visitors.
- STAY ON THE TRAIL. Do not cut switchbacks. Do not stray from the trail when it funnels down to single-track. Course cutting causes erosion and violates park policies.
- CARRY YOUR OWN HYDRATION SYSTEM. We do not provide cups at aid stations, therefore we ask that all racers carry at least a water bottle to fill up at aid stations. 50km racers are advised to carry at least 40 oz of fluid.
- CHECK IN AT AID STATIONS. All racers must check in at each aid station. Should you decide to drop from the race, give a race official or aid station captain your name and bib number. Runners are liable for any search and rescue expenses!
- ADHERE TO CUT-OFF TIMES. 50km runners must arrive at the junction of Lion and Burro trails (mile 25.5) by 2:50 p.m. to begin the Windy Peak loop. If you are not here by 2:50 p.m., you will not be permitted to climb Windy Peak, no exceptions! The finish line closes at 5:00 p.m.; racers crossing the finish line after 5:00 PM will not be considered an official finisher. Please respect the volunteers who are working this race and honor these cut-off times.
- INSURANCE NOT PROVIDED. The race will not cover any incurred emergency, medical or rescue costs. Runners are advised to have personal insurance should you become injured.
- NO DOGS. Dogs are not permitted on the course, on the buses, at the start/finish line, or the post race festivities. The race cannot cover incidences with your pets. You will be asked to take your dog away from this event, so Please leave your 4 legged friends at home.
- NO PACERS. Pacers are not permitted.
- HIKING POLES. Although most racers do not use them, feel free to use hiking poles if you want.
- BRING YOUR OWN PLATE AND FORK. Please help us make this event green by bringing your picnic plates and forks. Put them in your finish line drop bag.
We really would like to avoid putting 700 plates and forks in the landfill.
- MUST BE PRESENT TO WIN. Pack a change of clothes in your finish line drop bag and plan on staying until the Awards Ceremony which will start around 3:30 p.m. You must be present to win!.